Book Review: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

July reading started out with a HUGE bang. I read my most anticipated book of the year – and it managed to live up to my unrealistic expectations (I did fly all the way from Germany to attend BEA just so I could stand in line at 5:30 am for a ticket to a signing that didn't guarantee I'd get the book – so if it sucked, I would have been mega bitter).

Haven’t read HUNGER GAMES yet? Go and do that and then come back and read the rest of this review.

At the end of the HUNGER GAMES, I was ready to dig through Suzanne Collins’ trash just to get a peek at what might happen. I mean I figured we were going to get some unrest in Panem (after all, Katniss’ little trick was a major act of defiance that everyone saw), a nice Gale-Peeta-Katniss love triangle, maybe Katniss doing some more butt-kicking. But how was Collins going to top the actual Hunger Games? What else could have that kind of emotional immediacy and tension?

The beginning chapters build slowly, reintroducing all our favorite survivors from book 1 and increasingly throwing new challenges at them which causes them to develop in sometimes surprising ways. Midway through the novel, we get something jaw-droppingly shocking and pretty much pure genius. And then, before you catch your breath, it ends - on another cliffhanger that ensures book 3 will be on everyone’s most coveted list, just like CATCHING FIRE is/was.

So yeah, if you’re a HUNGER GAMES fan, do what you have to do to get your hands on this novel. Even if it means waiting until the actual September 1st release date (the hardest thing you'll ever do, I know).

Oh… Reviewer X is giving another copy away. Go get it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment