After her father dies under mysterious circumstances, Lia discovers that she and her twin sister are part of an ancient prophesy that pits them against one another. Lia must stay one step ahead of her sister to prevent the apocalypse.This hauntingly lovely novel has a lot going for it: a vividly realized historical setting (1890s New York), confident writing and a premise that makes you want to dig deeper. And that’s good, because it has to overcome the fact that it is basically a set-up for a trilogy. There are no big showdowns here, but a series of mysterious occurrences and coincidences as well as several smaller showdowns that serve well to build atmosphere and explain mythology but are sorely lacking in the action department.
Some of the specifics of the prophesy itself reminded me of the movie Constantine, which was considerably darker than what I expected. And I have to admit that although I like the idea of astral projection and dream travel, I found these passages unsettling (and nightmare inducing) and had to skim over them.
THE PROPHECY OF THE SISTERS is available in hardcover now. Find out more about it at the author’s website. I have an extra ARC that I can send out to one of my readers next week, so let me know in the comments by August 24th if you'd like it.
0 comments:
Post a Comment