Just Because

Today I talked to one of my best friends for the first time in a long time. It's hard keeping up with friends when you are so far away and you have so many that are scattered all over the globe. This particular friend is one that I've made an effort to visit at least once a year. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it takes a lot of effort to coordinate our busy scheldules, and though it's never enough, it's something. So today, when thinking about the book drive for Beth Kephart's new book NOTHING BUT GHOSTS, I thought of my friend and how she enjoys lyrical writing and women's stories and I decided to buy her NBG and another of my favorites NO ONE YOU KNOW by Michelle Richmond (which Beth won in my contest incidentally). There's no special occasion. Just because.

Speaking of book drives, I wanted to mention that Sarah Dessen's new book ALONG FOR THE RIDE debuted at the top of the New York Times best seller list. I haven't read it yet. I actually haven't read any of Sarah Dessen (I know - for shame). But I did feature it in one of my Penguin Prize Packs so I like to think I had the tiniest of parts in its' success. I'll also direct you to a contest going on over at SarahLand (until July 1st) where you can win 2 copies of ALONG FOR THE RIDE (one for you and one for your friend). Just because.

I was also thinking today how restless and unfulfilled I'd be if I didn't have access to books or the ability to read them. I look at my cats as they stare off into space and wonder how they can stand to laze around all day. They aren't even impressed by Taro Gomi's very colorful board book BUS STOPS (C'mon Finn, can't you find the dog?!) I know that's random, but I wanted to share. Just because.

0 comments:

Post a Comment