Book Review: Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender

Alexis’ life has always been pretty dysfunctional. She has no real friends, gets in trouble at school, keeps her parents at arm’s reach, and has a younger sister with a very unhealthy doll obsession. When strange things start happening at home, it doesn’t take long for Alexis to suspect that her house is haunted and her sister is possessed.

I have to give this novel serious props for pulling off a tone that is hilariously snarky and yet still so tantalizingly creepy. I didn’t have to turn my nightlight on to sleep or anything, but I did have goose bumps on several occasions.

Alexis starts out as just another of these tough, sarcastic, independent minded teens that have pervaded pop culture in recent years, but she develops so much through the narrative that I really had no idea what she would do next. It’s the same with most of the supporting characters – they are introduced as stereotypes and then defy all expectations.

This is such a fun, wild ride that I was able to forgive the slightly cheesy ending. Anyone see Skeleton Key with Kate Hudson? Now there’s an awesome ending to a possession story (though I did have my nightlight on for weeks after seeing that one - so beware).

Bad Girls Don’t Die comes out in hardcover on April 21st.

0 comments:

Post a Comment